They call him “Mr. Poppins”.
In 2013, Chris Stolz created 33 practical effects for one of the first productions of Mary Poppins in Canada. Since then, he has worked on Poppins after Poppins! Today, Chris continues to do several productions a year designing, fabricating and staging special effects and scenic elements for the production. Chris has multiple solutions for each effect in the show that can be tailored to fit within your existing design elements and budget. It’s no wonder they call him Mr. Poppins!
“It actually felt at times as if I were watching a movie; the sets and visual effects were so stunning it was almost as if I were sitting in a cinema wearing 3D glasses. And there was certainly no lack of magic onstage- Mary actually pulls out a full sized lamp, hat stand and plant from her carpet bag- among other things.”
Travel Theatrics | Read Review
With the rights for Mary Poppins available off Broadway, theatre companies across the globe are putting on incredible productions. With our experience with this show, we are pleased to offer our services as your Magic and Special Effects consultant and/or magic prop builder for your production of Mary Poppins.
As of this writing we’ve done the show 8 times in 18 months, designing all of the effects and in many cases multiple methods for each to give you plenty of options. We will come to the table with solutions for all effects, ready to be modified to fit into your production. Because of our experience with the show, our work is very fast which gives your team more time to plan your build.
Don’t have the expertise in house to build some of the magic items? No problem. From our shop just outside of Toronto Canada, we offer prop building services as well.
- Documentation, teaching your team how to achieve the effects and put them together
- Specialty prop builds. We build custom props, or we often have items in stock from previous builds so be sure to check our online shop as well!
- Scenic Design with magic effects built in from an award winning set designer.
- Magic training for your actors for any sleight of hand (Producing the Cherry, Flowers from Painting, etc) either in person or by video
- Consulting with your set team to integrate magic effects seamlessly into your design
Mary Poppins Special Effects
The script calls for many effects and directors often have various effects, or enhanced versions that they want to introduce. Listed below are some of the most commonly used, called-for effects in the script.
- Torn Advert Flies Up Chimney
- Mary’s Magic Bag
- Dresser Shelves Collapse & Restore
- Table Collapses & Restores
- Cuckoo Clock Falls & Restores
- Falling & Restoring Pots
- Cake Appears
- Birds Swirl Around Lady
- Flowers Burst from Statue
- Mary Rises Up Chimney
- Dancers with Kites
- Mrs. Andrews Lark Flies Away
- Heirloom Vase Smashes
- Appearing Bouquet from Painting
- Doll House Illusion
- Dolls Vanish
- Reverse Bannister Ride
- Mary’s Bed Appears
This list is growing all the time. Here is a look at some of of the most recent companies to leverage our knowledge and prop building expertise.
Mary Poppins | Special Effects – St. Louis, MO
Saint Louis University Theater
Mary Poppins | Special Effects – Beverly, MA
North Shore Music Theatre
Mary Poppins | Special Effects – Toronto, ON
Toronto Catholic District Schoolboard – Staff Arts
Mary Poppins | Special Effects – Woodbridge, ON
Woodstock Collegiate Institute
Mary Poppins | Special Effects – Brampton, ON
Brampton Music Theatre